Thanks for your prayer and help.
The Lord has been blessing our missionary efforts and we are very grateful.
I apologize that I have not been able to keep up with the blog posts, there is so much I hope to share – God’s blessings has been amazing!. We are understaffed so it has been difficult to get our website up to date – we do hope to do that soon. In the meantime:
1) Please visit my Facebook page and scroll down my timeline – you will see many pictures and videos of our activities.
2) Here is a copy of our updated brochure, please pass it along to Christians and churches that are not familiar with Christ Cares. Also please glance at our volunteer opportunities and see if there is a volunteer opportunity that you might be interested in.
Christ Cares brochure 2014
3) We are completely updating our entire website. This should be done by April 1, 2014. We are really excited about this and it will contain detailed information, pictures, and videos of our urban missionary endeavors. http://ChristCares.org Please mark your calendar to visit us on April 1.
4) Please continue to pray for us and share any request you may have with us. PRAYER MAKES A DIFFERENCE! I’m so grateful that God hears and answers our prayers… If you have any questions please give me a call,
Posted in Ministry Update
Tagged chicago, Christ Cares, donate, evangelism, homeless, ministry, missionary, non profit, scott reese, urban minister, urban ministry, volunteer
Leo Tolstoy – WHERE LOVE IS, THERE GOD IS ALSO
HAVE YOU EVER READ TOLSTOY??? To me he was just one of those authors that I knew I should know about, but knew very little. I just read his short story – WHERE LOVE IS, THERE GOD IS ALSO – Leo Tolstoy. It only takes 5 or 10 minutes to read… I THINK YOU WOULD ENJOY IT… I posted it on the ChristCares.org website – http://bodyofchristcares.christianinternetministry.com/christian_volunteer_tolstoy.html
(I found this picture at http://www.linguadex.com/tolstoy/)
Posted in Ministry Update
Tagged Christ Cares, christian, Christian book, Christian short story, Christian volunteers, Christianity, evangelism, homeless, ministry, religion, scott reese, tolstoy, volunteer, volunteerism, witness, witnessing
Christian Volunteers – Please read, an encouraging reminder that we never know how God will use us…
Amazing story how God used a volunteer’s simple act of faithfulness to change thousands of lives…
Many years ago, it was a cold February night in Chicago. A volunteer for the Pacific Garden Mission had to make a decision if he was to brave the cold weather or stay home – his position was not considered important by many – he was not a preacher, he just stood outside the mission and encouraged needy people to go inside & get help. He went…
Earlier that night a man named Mel Trotter was despondent and depressed due to alcoholism and poor choices – he had lost his job, his marriage was messed up and he had gone to Chicago for a drinking binge. Finally, suicidal & out of money he sold his shoes in a tavern to get a final drink. He then got directions to Lake Michigan where he figured he would jump in and commit suicide… On his way, he passed the the Pacific Garden Mission & the volunteer encouraged him & pulled him in the mission… there he heard the gospel preached and that even though he was “messed up” God still loved him…
He trusted Christ as his savior & God transformed his life… soon he began to share his testimony and became a minister… God used him in a powerful way… He helped start the Mel Trotter Rescue Mission & Church in Grand Rapids Michigan… Soon he was used to start missions in many cities across America and became an evangelist and thousands of people came to the Lord as a result of his ministry…. This is a great reminder to us on the importance of our volunteer activities, even if it doesn’t seem to be an important job, you never know how God will bless your faithfulness… Thousands were saved as the result of that volunteer being there & Mel Trotter becoming a Christian…
I WANT TO TELL YOU THE STORY OF JUST ONE OF THE THOUSANDS THAT WERE SAVED. A 13 year old boy visited the Mel Trotter Church in Grand Rapids … he saw a choir perform & asked if he could join – the director shared that it was a Christian choir & then the 13 year old boy put his trust in Christ as his savior… that boy grew up to be a missionary, pastor, evangelist, Bible College teacher, & author… that man was my Father Ed Reese, who along with my mom raised me in the Christian Faith & now I (Scott Reese) have been an urban missionary for over 30 years…
LAST FRIDAY NIGHT (12/28/12) I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PREACH AT THE PACIFIC GARDEN MISSION… where this all began… it was an amazing night and an opportunity… I’m not sure how many were there, I’m guessing over 400… Katie Reese sang with the youth group of Christian Heritage Church… After preaching a gospel message, We had about 7 indicate that they would like to become Christians – we prayed with them & encouraged them to talk with the mission staff… Please pray for them… Praise the Lord …
DONATE – MAKE A DIFFERENCE – HERE
RETURN TO CHRISTCARES.ORG – HERE
RETURN TO CHRIST CARES’ MINISTRY BLOG – HERE
Posted in Ministry Update
Tagged chicago, Children's Bible Hour, Christ Cares, christian, christian testimonies, Christian volunteers, Christianity, Grand Rapids, homeless, Mel Johnson, Mel Trotter, Mel Trotter Mission, ministry, missionary, missions, Pacific Garden Mission, religion, rescue mission, scott reese, testimony, tips for teens, urban minister, urban ministry, urban missionary, volunteer, volunteerism, witness, Youth For Christ
Sharing the “GOOD NEWS”
rosetta Baptist of central illinois sent 26 to help christ cares for a short term mission trip.
Rosetta Baptist Church of Central Illinois
they were a tremendous help and blessing!!!
& they went home inspired!
is your church planning a short term missions trip? please prayerfully consider christ cares…
donate – make a difference – here
return to christcares.org – here
return to christ cares’ ministry blog – here
Posted in Ministry Update
Tagged Christ Cares, christian, Christianity, ministry, missionary, missions, missions trip, poor, religion, scott reese, short term missions trip, urban ministry, urban missionary, volunteer
Wednesday Night Volunteers needed
On Wednesday evenings we work with a group (between 10 to 20) of grade school and junior high children for an evening of fun & Bible Study. We meet at East Hazel Crest Bible Church and we are in need of volunteers to help from 7 p.m to 8 p.m. – email Scott for additional information if you are interested. We are in need of the volunteers for the summer only – the Bible Church runs a wonderful Olympians program during the school year. We also have basketball practice from 5 to 6 p.m. Pictures below:
Wednesday Evening Bible Study & Game Time
Christ Cares basketball team
Fall Volunteers Needed
This Fall, Lord willing, we plan on partnering with New Life Baptist Church and start a couple new programs. We are in the planning stages and we also need to start lining up potential volunteers so we will know how many we can minister to. Tentatively we are thinking about having a after school Homework Help & Basketball program on Thursdays at about 3:30 p.m. (Grade School & Junior High). We also are thinking about having a weekly outreach (about 5:00 p.m.) to the homeless ladies and children who spend Monday nights at the church. We also need volunteers for a Bible and Basketball Program for High School kids on Wednesday nights about 6:00 p.m.
Christ Cares resources Ministries
Christ Cares resources Urban Ministries of Chicagoland in various ways throughout the year. Scott is also involved with encouraging and consulting Urban Ministers. One of our resources is an inflatable bouncer pictured below being used at Living Springs Community Church for a fund raiser benefiting Heart For Honduras .
Christ Cares resources urban ministries
Scott Reese’s Upcoming Preaching Schedule:
- 6/17/12 : Crete Reformed Church (Showing video of the Shelter Ministry) * We are very grateful that Crete Church’s V.B.S. Program is collecting snacks for our various programs and the ministries we resource.
- 6/24/12 : Korean United Methodist Church * We are very grateful that this wonderful congregations has been partnering with us the past several years at our Taste of Reconciliation Worship Event and I am honored to have this opportunity to share.
- 7/1/12 : East Hazel Crest Bible Church * My dad was pastor of this church when I was born – it is still kind of strange to preach at a place and see people who used to babysit me! The pastor and people of this congregation have been a big encouragement & help to me.
- 7/8/12 : South Suburban Chinese Church * For well over 20 years I’ve had the privilege to minister to this wonderful congregation & have grown to love them dearly…we want to thank Parkview Church of Orland Park for allowing us to use their facility and Baptistery so we could have a Baptismal Service. Please pray for Frankie as he proclaims his love and dedication to God through Baptism.
- 7/15/12 : Rest Haven Nursing Home of South Holland. * I always look forward to sharing with these wonderful people…
- Please pray that my message and my preaching will not necessarily be with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power. (1 Cor.2)
Praise & Prayer Requests
- Please continue to pray for my (Scott’s) health & heart. I have been doing really well but earlier tonight I ran into problems – my Blood Pressure jumped up to 191 / 156 and my heart went out of rhythm. Please pray for healing and also wisdom on the next step – also please pray that if it is God’s plan for me to have an operation to fix this condition, that he will provide a way financially to have it done. We are grateful to Orland Park Christian Reformed Church who sent us an extra $500 this week to help with our medical expenses. June 20 update – Scott’s heart is back in rhythm and doing much better.
- Praise – a young lady that grew up at the Chinese Church is going into missions. I can not publicly give her name or where she is going but if you would be interested in supporting a dedicated young missionary to a needy field, than please contact me and I will give you additional information.
- Please pray for my dear friend and co-laborer Carolyn. There has been a gang war in her neighborhood. The gangs lit the house across the street from her on fire and they tried to kill her neighbor by shooting up their house. There is gunfire almost every night. She also fell and hurt her arm and had to have surgery tonight. She has been through so much (son and niece murdered etc.) and yet she has continued to reach out in love to the children of her community.
- Praise – At New Life (the church the Lord blessed me to found over 30 years ago) they had been praying for a new member’s adult children that they would come to church. The week I preached not only did she attend, but she also put her trust in Christ as her Savior!!! Praise the Lord – please pray for this new born Christian…
- Praise – once again a Christian Business lady has made a significant & sacrificial donation to help Christ Cares. We also praise God for about 20 individuals and churches who donate faithfully on a monthly or quarterly basis – IN AN EARTHLY SENSE, OUR MINISTRY IS RESULT OF THEIR PARTNERSHIP!!!
- This summer Scott will be going on deputation again – please pray that we will be able to raise the additional funds needed. Much of Scott’s missionary deputation was done in the late 1980’s. Now since the economy is bad and also over 25 years supporters drop off, so there is a strong need to increase our funding to meet our budget. We are also wanting to hire some part time staff this Fall to help us with our new programs. Please help us line up opportunities for us to share what Christ Cares is doing and how people can partner with us. Churches, small groups, Sunday School Classes, even a gathering of a few friends at your house would be wonderful! You can also make a one time donation or a monthly donation (that you can stop at any time) – HERE – CLICK TO DONATE TO CHRIST CARES
- Finally please pray for spiritual victories. As missionaries we often just share the highlights and victories but there is also many difficulties and discouragements in urban ministry. Please pray for three young people that I have been working with for a couple years that God’s Word will penetrate their lives and change them. They recently did something really stupid and got in trouble with the law – I pray that this will be the last time the get in trouble with the police and that they will live for the Lord. We were encouraged that we had a couple new families join the church at New Life. A wolf in sheep’s clothing got to them and persuaded in false doctrine and they are fading out of the church. One of the urban ministers I try to encourage is going through a very difficult time. David Gills who I co-founded New Life with is now the Senior pastor there. He had Kidney failure and now has to have dialysis three times a week. I am really concerned about one of the families that was staying at the Homeless Shelter we help. It was a single mother with nine precious children and she is pregnant with a 10th. Anyway, she evidently has some issues and was kicked out of the shelter (They must maintain order & rules) – I am quite worried for these children. I recently got word that a young man that we’ve worked with is in jail for shooting someone in the leg. His father was murdered when he was young. At age nine he witnessed his cousin being shot to death and then his mother was stabbed to death in front of him as he tried to fight off the attacker. Two or three months latter he was sitting next to his brother when his brother was shot in the head and killed. After all this happened we would have this young man come over to our house one evening a week for about a year, just to try to show him some love and encouragement. He is a gifted young man and I know God still has a plan for him – please pray that God will change his heart. This morning I witnessed a minor crime and then had to go look for the suspects. I also got a phone call from one of the probable gang families I help that I dread returning because I know it is probably going to draw me into a high pressure and possibly dangerous situation. I still struggle myself from time to time with some Post Traumatic Stress issues from the 100 or so murders that I’ve been through these past 30 + years. Please pray for me, my family (my wife and kids have been through many hardships due to my ministry) and our volunteers and we ask God to make us a vessel of His Love “in the city.”
HOME – CHRISTCARES.ORG
SCHOOL SUPPLIES ARE NEEDED!
Please take a few minutes and view this video. Christ Cares is a 501c3 Christian non profit organization that believes the LOVE OF GOD needs to be both proclaimed and demonstrated!
The economic crisis has affected most of us here in America, however, the impact has been devistating in the urban areas. School is about to start in a few weeks and many families are struggling to get the needed school supplies. Christ Cares is collecting school supplies to help met this need and also as a paractical demonstration of God’s love. For over 30 years, our Director, Rev. Scott Reese has been an urban missionary. Please prayerfully consider making a difference and help us secure school supplies and also “share” this video with your friends.
A list of our needed supplies is also posted below.
PLEASE CLICK ON THE “YOUTUBE” LOGO TO VIEW ON YOUTUBE & EASILY SHARE WITH YOUR EMAIL OR FACEBOOK FRIENDS…
Help Spread the word! share this post on Facebook or email it to your friends…
Posted in Christian Volunteers Needed, Ministry Update
Tagged christian, compassion, evangelism, ministry, missionary, missions, outreach, religion, scott reese, urban ministry, volunteer
HOME – CHRISTCARES.ORG
Thank you so much for your prayer and support to make this ministry possible.
Enclosed is our latest newsletter…
We will once again try to post more often to our blog – so please come back soon!
Sunday, the TASTE OF RECONCILIATION was a blessing to hundreds of Christians.
I will post pictures and video soon. Thank you so much for all those who volunteered.
I especially want to thank the BUILDING BRIDGES COMMITTEE of Living Springs Community Church for their help in making this idea a reality.
WANT TO BE FRIENDS?
Let’s pray for each other… facebook is a great way to keep in touch…
Keep “up to date” with our Director, Missionary Scott Reese at: